Tuesday, October 4

Drowning out the Distractions

Distractions, notifications and alerts go on ALL day for me. Even the effort of stopping them is work, and distracts me! What do we do in a media driven world of constantly alerting and notifying me of things on every device I own and still stay relevant and current in this new world of social technology driven lifestyles? 

I love technology, it helps me have better reading comprehension and attention to books and goals. I also dispise it because I have constant distractions. The only way I have learned to handle this is to have self control and discipline. Sounds self explanatory doesn't it, easy task, well not at all. How many times have you been at a restaurant and you are tempted to pull out your smart phone? How many times do you justify it by saying “oh it’s an important text I need to check it” 

I find that my time with devotion to spending time with God is harder than ever because of these notifications and distractions. One main reason is because God’s voice is a quite, gentle voice that mostly is heard in stillness, in quiet, not silence of just noise, but the ‘noise’ of distractions around us. 

The word is filled with verses that encourage us to listen:
Psalm 46:10 says “Be still and know that I am God” 

Jeremiah 29:12 “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” 

Proverbs 10:17 “Whoever heeds discipline shows the way of life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray”

Revelation 3:20 “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person and they with me.” 


1John 5:15 “In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into His ears.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment