Sunday, April 29

Perseverance....


Romans 5:3-4 "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, HOPE."
No one steps out to do something that is a leap of faith for them without counting the costs. Not many people today have the perseverance to get to their goal in one large leap! It takes some knowledge, a plan of action, support of others and the character of tenacity!
This photo was taken the other day when I decided to try a new way exercise for myself. I took my fitness routine to the beach! I have never done this before even though we live about 12 miles up from this location. I usually stick to what is comfortable and easy, realizing that sometimes that doesn't get me very far. When I arrived here early in the morning, at around 9am, I was encouraged to see not one, not two but a good 15-20 others running, walking and jogging on this very sand! The sun shining, waves crashing and motivated exercisers waving at one another and calling out to each other by name. "Hey Jack! Nice seeing ya here again!" I was hooked immediately and want to come back weekly to jog to try to bring a newness to my routine. What made this new motivation happen was obvious but what got to me was the fact that there were others there all out for the same goal, same reason. If I had arrived at the beach and there was no one there at all, and it was just a nice day, with sunshine, sand and waves, trust me, most likely I would have sat myself down on a blanket and had a lovely time of viewing, praying, relaxing and you know-lazy! But what really was the trigger were the others making it count for their health and stirring each other on! The support, the environment and the model of those here before me.
If you are also in a situation in your own personal life of a battle, a trial, a hard time in your journey, doesn't it help when you find others around you have been also going through theses same things? We feel we can relate, trust them, and get through it not alone but with others routing you on. You need to get around similar people who will help you fight the battle you are facing and get on the same team. We also need something in this day and age of our culture that is rare, that is perseverance. It is defined as "continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition".
 1 Timothy 4:16 "Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." When I read this verse it makes me see that this word "perseverance" means something a bit different. So many times we think of having to persevere through hard times. When I read this verse I think of persevering as "holding on." We have to hold on tightly to the promises of God so that not only in hard times of life but in the challenges of people we have no reason to let go, we are stronger.!

"What if your 'breaking point" in actually your starting point to success....persevere to the end so you can get there!"

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing this today - so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete