Thursday, April 19

Light is Hope

The room is pitch dark, you lost power and you are in an unknown place, unfamiliar territory and have no way of recalling or remembering where you are or how to get around the place. Nothing seems to feel or seem familiar to you, what do you do? You search for 'light'! We are wired to find hope, trust and rely on survival basic human intuition. If this is true, why do we give up hope at times of darkness in our trials of life and hard circumstances? We want to 'keep the faith', hold on to hope and search for light in the darkness but where is our source of hope coming from? Is it reliable and steadfast? We literally can put faith and hope in anything, a person, an encouraging book a pastor or revered leader, but where is their hope based in, do you know? Is it as sure as the one I have found in Christ?

I recently have learned of 3 friends that are very close to me who have been told "bad news" from doctors. One friend's son was in a head on collision, the other one's husband has a later stage of skin cancer and the last one I am speaking of has two premature twins in the ICU with multiple problems and all three of these individuals have blowing me away with the words of strength from the Lord they are receiving. They (and we) all have the choice to allow these types of trials to take us, we can let the fear we face take over our faith and hope in the Lord and worry or like these friends, grab hold of any 'light' and hope we can find.  In our lives we have one true and lasting hope, without God all the storms of life you face will be much harder to get through to find the light when the light goes out and your life is consumed with darkness. It is inevitable there will be those times of happiness, joy and triumph but there will be the sad and unpredictable times as well.

In Psalm 139:7-12 "Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there, If I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, If I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; for darkness is as light to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment