Tuesday, June 5

Is Attitude Everything?


Can our attitude affect and change the way our day and our life goes? Can we turn the course of it simply by adjusting our mind? Do you believe that is true, that our minds can control our brain and the affects it has on our body, our mind and our behavioral reactions resulting in a good life?

I recently had a day that started out fantastic, we were on a great trip, driving home from a long summer vacation and stopped at a great location for dinner. However  the oppressive heat was causing the town to close down the shops and restaurants, so we kept driving. Then event by event of the day, circumstances were changing beyond our literal control. My damaged shoulder joints were hurting like I've never quite felt before. My husband got food poisoning from a bad pizza the night before and we next encountered a scary incident where we missed a car coming at us head on, and 1/4 of an inch we could have been hit. We were pretty shaken by that car incident  and realized how the hand of God was on us and we were spared our lives. We went from feelings of being shocked and mad at the driver to being very thankful. 
We could have stayed in the moment of fear, anger and discouragement over our day so far and that driver's bad driving and stupidity but instead we took a moment and praised God for his protection. I walked in to a pit stop out in the boondocks to a restroom on our journey and when I walked in there was a sign on the wall that said, "Count your blessings, not your problems." I felt challenged in my soul again to stop and thank God for the blessings we have had along this trip.
I have heard it said in a quote before; "We can't control what happens to us, but we can control our reactions to it."

We have a choice in every annoying situation and tragic circumstances we are faced with to "choose joy" and thankfulness or become bitter at the things life throws at us.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

1 comment:

  1. Hello sister Vicki. I am so glad to get reconnected with you. I did contact you some three years back after coming across your profile on the blogger and the blog post. We were in communication as we exchanged few emails but then since I did not receive any response from you It did slept from my mind but again the Lord brought me back to your profile on the blogger and the blog post. Again I am blessed and encouraged by going through your blog post on choosing joy. I have dropped you an email and I hope before you visit your blog post you will open your email box and see my email. Looking forward to hear from you. Pastor Diwakar Wankhede from Mumbai, India

    ReplyDelete