Sunday, December 18

Rewiring Your Thoughts

Why is it we tend to remember the bad memories more than the good ones? Why is it we tend to lean on recapturing the negative moments of our lives and not highlighting the good and victorious times? 

I was looking through my photos on my computer just recently and found myself being “triggered” by some of the images. I was going way into the last couple of years not just recently, the photos that I forgot all about. Some were from international trips a long time ago and some more recent, but I looked at one of those and I could feel a negative thought from looking at it, I had to swipe to the next photo to find the other part of the story from that trip just so that I could try to recall what happened after that was positive to remind myself that it was a good time and not all bad. 

This experience reminded me of how powerful the mind is and our control over the way we process what goes in and how long it stays there…if it’s a negative, bad experience we had, and how ‘dwelling’ on it is not healthy, but learning to process the moment and having a healthy mindset and outlook to change the direction of the memory for the future. 
When negative emotions come to you from an experience, take time to process what is happening. Here are 3 steps to try, 3 questions to ask yourself. 

1. How do I feel?
2. Why do I feel this way?
3. How will I choose to respond (instead of reacting)?

In 2 Corinthians 10:5 it says..” taking captive every thought into the obedience of Christ,”  and Proverbs 4:24 “Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.”


Allow yourself time to process your thoughts and feelings before they overtake you and affect your heart and mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment