Tuesday, September 18

Enjoying The View From New Heights

" Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls. "  (1 peter 1:8-9)



There is something about being up high in elevation that changes your perception, your outlook and your overall reflection on life. One of our sightseeing adventures I had this concept became more clear was in Hong Kong in March of 2011. Along with  my youngest son and husband for a design conference my husband was keynote speaker for. As always, I love to be his travel partner! We decided to take a couple of touristy days while we were there, and why wouldn't we? After all it did take us 19 hours non-stop to get there and we well deserved a time to sight see and I had quite the 'must do' list form my research!  On my list : Must go to Mongkok, must see Big Budda, need to taste test some Dim Sum, wanted to experience Victoria Peak and more.
Our first touristy thing to do was the Sky Tram. Having a bit of a fear of heights myself, I have to admit, I almost chickened out but stood against my fear and this tram was amazing! While up that high and looking down all you see through the glass bottom dome is everything you are flying over. It was scary, exciting, gorgeous all at one time! Ahead of us was nothing but mountains, hills, trails, and a view of our future next 25 minutes. Behind us was the same but all that we are leaving behind us. This view and the experience caused me to be very reflective about life and that something in our lives we get so concentrated on the ride itself, the pressures, the fears, the uncertainties that we close our eyes too long, we bury our head in the sand, or under a cozy blanket of comfort that we miss the whole experience altogether. Like I mentioned, I am not a fan of heights at all, I don't like it, and it's a fear I have. I chose not to let that stop me from going on this sky tram and being with my family. What if I didn't go because of a silly fear of heights? I would not be able to have this chance to see an area I probably will never see again in my life so far away like Hong Kong! I wouldn't have had the bonding time with my family, had the time of my life ! I  would have regret that my fear took over a one in a lifetime experience.
What is holding you back, where in your life are you gripping onto so tightly and allowing it to keep you from enjoying the ride of your life? God has designed you for a greater purpose than to be subjected to letting a lack of faith ruin your life's full potential and from allowing fear or discouragement take front seat.
In God's word there is a great verse about stripping off things in your life that hinder you from running this race of life..In Hebrews 12:1 it says
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Also in Isaiah 43:19
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.


In these two passages I see a resounding theme for us in living. I understand these verses as encouraging us in our lives to 'wake up",and not miss out of the best life possible with God. The race that God has set out for us, the finish line is when we get to see our Lord face to face! He has a high quality life for you and I and He knows we get weighed down with life and circumstances that we need reminders to keep looking above us. Keep looking for what is to come, and not getting burdened with the weight of worry on our lives the things that get puzzled, and confuse us or trap us in fear that we don't enjoy this amazing view that God has for our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment