Friday, February 8

A Different Perspective






When we are visiting my family up in Washington State, one thing we love about it is our chance to take the ferry. I love the Washington State ferry system. It's especially fun having Grandma & Grandpa (my mom and dad) living on an Island. When we are on the ferry going from Island to Island, you have the choice to sit in the car on the boat or get out and walk around and use the restroom, get a coffee or treat from the snack bar or go out and enjoy the view from the front or the back of the ferry. We usually always choose to get the breath of fresh, crisp air blowing on our faces rather than sitting in a parked vehicle away from it all, like in a parked garage.
One time in particular I remember being on the opposite end of the boat that from my sons. I was texting them from where I was telling them to quickly look to the right of the boat, and that I had been viewing what I thought was a whale! I was on back end of the deck and being that they were on the front end of the same ferry, they told me they didn't see anything, only water and waves. But I assured them, "It's there, right now, LOOK!" Even though they were on the same boat, because of their angle was different from mine, they saw things completely different than I did and they almost didn't even believe I saw what I did. I motioned my sons to come over to my side, near my deck, and there they could see the evidence of the sealife.
How many times do you see something in life completely different than another person, even someone who is in the same experience as you are in. A family member situation or crisis, a stress in life, a new job, a family illness, an argument. Many arguments and problems in relationships happen simply because of this reason..a different bent on the situation, a different perspective. You may have a totally different outlook and perspective than they do just because you are on a different angle and see a completely different perspective than they do because you are seeing it from your own life's view. It's very important to remember to live with grace to others around you, live with patience, tolerance and understanding when in a conflict and bear with one another's points of view.

To avoid conflict: Keep in mind that even though  you and someone in your life may be on the same 'ship', you each have a different outlook and 'view' because of where you stand in life and in values and in experiences. Life a life of offering grace, patience, love and understanding, and you will get the same in return.




The bible has a lot to say to us about this. Romans 12:3 says,
 " For the grace given me I say to every one of you; Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

Also in Colossians 3:13, "Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others."

No comments:

Post a Comment