Friday, January 25

Light Deficiency

I think there is something about the trigger a cloudy, rainy day has for me. I have been in Southern California now for 8 years. We lived in Washington state for 15 years having come from the Bay Area. There is something I never knew of in my life while living in Nor Cal, a phrase they used a lot when I moved to the Northwest. It was called "S.A.D." I inquired about what that meant one very dark, cloudy and particularly drippy day that actually turned into a solid 3 months of complete cloudy darkness right when we moved there. It was a shocker to have learned that people were not kidding when I heard about WA state being a very rainy place, but when I understood that people suffered from "S.A.D." (Seasonal Affective Disorder) there, I was concerned. SAD is a type of depression that occurs at the same time every year. It saps people's energy, making you feel moody and depressed. When I learned about this I was sure to think I couldn't possibly get this disorder! Me, the happy-go-lucky, positive spirit type wouldn't ever allow weather to affect me. But it can happen to anyone, no matter how your perspective in on life. With SAD there is a treatment. It involves "light therapy" treatments called Phototherapy, sometimes just changing the light bulbs in your house in all the rooms can improve this depression people suffer from.
This disorder and depression is 100% related to the lack of sunlight, makes me use a comparison or parallel in life. There are people also walking around, living life in utter spiritual darkness. These people are possibly OK on the surface, basic happiness of life and their own money and material possessions may give them satisfaction in life, or their friends, family and loved ones add to that life, but there is the light of Christ they are not seeing, do not know, they have no idea that Jesus is the treatment, the worlds antidote to the world's darkness spiritually. Just like someone who doesn't know what is wrong with them who live in one of these more 'darker, rainier' states, suffering from unknown depression, they come to find out it is the weather that is the trigger and cause, what do they do? They run to the local hardware store and they pick up the proper light bulbs to help them get out of their 'dark state' of mind and relieve their physical and emotional conditions. I believe today there are people who just don't really know the light of Jesus because they have not been told the spiritual brightness that will happen if they turn it on!
In 2nd Samuel 22:29 it says, "You are my lamp, oh Lord; the Lord turns my darkness into light." and in Isaiah 60:19, "The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on your, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. and in John 1:3-5, "Through Him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

Questions to ponder today:
1. Do you know the light of Jesus in a personal way?
2. What area in your life are you still living in darkness, or a pit or a trap where you cannot see the light?
3. Do you need a coach or help to guide you out of those areas that entrap you? A life coach can help you see a different perspective on your situation..contact me if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment